A Full-Featured, 40 liter, Ultralight and Frameless Backpack
Field tested in the North Cascades and Olympic Mountains of Washington State, the Talaria backpack is built to provide efficiency, comfort and flexibility to the ultralight backpacker. It’s unique continuously contoured back panel conforms snugly to the natural curve of the human back. A well-fitting pack that carries weight close to your body’s center of gravity can feel like wings on your feet.
As an ultralight style backpack, the Talaria is best suited for on-trail and moderate off-trail adventures. This pack is designed to comfortably carry backpacking base weights between 6 to 12 lbs, or total pack weights between 12 – 20 lbs, depending on your preferences. A bear canister will fit vertically inside the Talaria with room to spare. Smaller canisters such as the Bear Vault 450 or Bear Boxer Contender 101 will fit when carried on their sides.
A separate backpack liner is highly recommended. While the pack’s fabric is waterproof, the seams are not taped or sealed against moisture. Seams are hot singed after double stitching, so a liner also protects delicate clothing and quilt fabrics from possible rough seam edges.
Backpack # 009 – Black and Coyote Brown x-pac X-21RC and V-21
$155 with free CONUS shipping
Special: get a 15% discount on backpack gear pouches when ordered along with a Talaria backpack.
Pack 009 photos coming soon (see photo at top of page for identical pack).
- Tapered and curved side panels, to conform snugly to the contour of your back and move the load closer to your body.
- 3” wide, S-shaped shoulder straps with long daisy chain for accessories.
- Torso lengths of 17″ (small), 19″ (medium) or 21″ (large), measured from the shoulder strap where it attaches to the backpack to the bottom of the hip belt attachment. Backpack sizing varies from person to person, but an 19″ torso length would be considered a “medium” by most people. If you normally prefer a medium size in a framed backpack, then you may prefer the slightly longer medium-large torso length for a frameless backpack like the Talaria.
- Integrated 3/4″ hip belt with fabric wings.
- Removable, adjustable and shock absorbing sternum strap with whistle.
- Side pockets fit two Smartwater bottles side by side or a traditional 1L Nalgene bottle with room to spare. Pocket rims have sturdy, adjustable and removable 1/8” shock chords with a hidden tab to hide the end – open the rims wide for easy access, or tighten them down to snugly retain contents and protect them from escaping. Pockets are slanted for easier access while hiking and flat-bottomed (with drain holes) for maximum volume. Solid fabric construction to prevent snagging by trail-side vegetation.
- Large front pocket with pleated bottom and drain hole. The pocket rim has sturdy, adjustable and removable 1/8” shock chord with hidden tabs to hide the ends.
- Dry-bag style roll-top closure is 11″ tall and tapered (wider opening at the top) for easy packing and unpacking and viewing of pack contents. The collar secures with two evenly spaced snaps in the middle, plus Linloc-3 male adjustable side-release buckles at each side.
- Compression chords on both side panels. The top of each chord has female Linlocs to cinch down the extension collar. The bottom of each chord has a mitten hook – this allows the chords to be clipped to any of the loops in many different configurations, or completely removed or replaced.
- Multiple attachment loops all the way to the bottom of the side panels, each fitted with easy-glide rings for volume compression. The lowest attachment loop is at waist-belt level, to facilitate attaching belt accessories such as gear pouches.
- Additional attachment loops on the pack’s front and back panels can be used for improvising a bungee system. Includes an ice axe loop and shorter loop for poles or accessories.
Standard Included Items:
- Backpack, sternum strap, side compression chords (2) and back panel pad retention shock chord.
- Standard materials include a combination of X-pac X-21RC, VX-21, LS-07, LS-21 or V21. When the light LS-07 material is used for the main panels, the bottom and other high stress/wear areas use a thicker material, such as X-21RC.
- Front pocket: X-pac bottom and top rim for protection, with OWF Medium Hand mesh in the middle.
- Shoulder straps: 3mm 3-D spacer mesh undersides, X-pac fronts, and OWF 1/4” closed cell foam cores.
- Backpack with removable side compression straps: 11.0 – 15.0 oz with standard options, depending on materials
- Removable sternum strap: 0.7 oz
- Removable pad retention strap: 0.3 oz
- Total combined weight: 12.0 – 16.0 oz
- Main body: 25L
- Roll-top: 6.1L
- Side pockets: 2.2L each, or 4.4L total for both
- Front pocket: 4L
- Total combined volume: 40L
Standard Body Dimensions:
- Height: 24” with average sized load
- Width: 10″
- Thickness: 6.5″ average
Photos of Taleria Backpacks:
Backpack # 008 (X-pac, gray LS-21 and black VX-21)
Backpack # 007 (X-pac, gray LS-07 and black X-21RC)
Backpack # 006 (X-pac, gray, white and black X-21RC)
Backpack # 006 (X-pac, gray, yellow and black X-21RC)